Warehouses often end up neglected in a business, at least when it comes to making sure that the warehouse is clean and organized, in order to provide the safest and most efficient experience for your employees. When it comes to utilizing your warehouse space the best you can, sometimes the right organizational skills don’t come as easy as you would hope. Whether you have a high demand for a certain product or constantly find yourself overstocking in other products, finding the right methods and tools are the most essential component to properly utilizing your warehouse space and making sure your storage area is safe, clean and easy to navigate. If you are looking for more information about warehouse shelving Visit Colby Dandenong.
Some might also feel that although your warehouse space is clean, organized and safe, there just isn’t nearly enough of it. Here are some suggestions towards making your warehouse space is optimized for making your space seem bigger, and getting the most value out of the storage you currently have.
Vertical Shelving Carousel Organization
Implementing a vertical carousel-shelving unit may be just what your warehouse needs for the organization and space utilization that it has been lacking. Instead of simply placing everything on the same plane and using up the space quickly, try storing up instead. A vertical carousel is an automated option for clean and efficient storage that resembles a giant vending machine. Going vertical gives you the opportunity to go “up” with product and conserve floor space that would otherwise be busy and possibly cluttered, or fill that space with more materials to create your product. Vertical Shelving Carousel Organization has a lot of attractive qualities going for it, including:
- Vertical Shelving is much less expensive to implement in your warehouse.
- Building up saves space on the floor.
- When you have everything you need on a giant vending machine, that is going to mean less time and effort going into finding the tools your employees need.
- If your warehouse is well organized and laid out in a vertical fashion, inventory becomes much easier.
Vertical Lift System
A vertical lift system is similar to that of the vertical carousel system, in the sense that it also allows you to grow upward and save on warehouse floor space. However, it is slightly different from the vertical carousel system in that it is considered to be the most sophisticated of the two. It is also an automated system that allows for higher pick rates and productivity in the warehouse.
The benefits of the vertical lift system are also very similar to the carousel system:
- Storing vertically means you can store more in less floor space.
- Being able to find the tools you need quickly means products can be produced at a much more efficient and higher rate.
- There is no danger to your employees who are trying to reach heavy objects in high places; everything is within easy reach, which makes life easier and also more ergonomically healthy.
- You can also increase security on your resources, with a full lock-down procedure for if something goes wrong.
Pallet racks are the most popular storage option for the majority of warehouses and are found in almost every storage facility. The rack design is based on a horizontal plan, not a vertical one, so that there is an allowance for instant forklift access to any pallet, which means a more productive and efficient reachability of the pallets and products. Pallet racking systems are available with many options and customizable features to accommodate your storage needs. However, you don’t get as much, or even any vertical storage space, which can be incredibly helpful. Some of the key features are:
- It is incredibly easy for forklifts to reach and move the resources in a timely manner.
- You can easily customize the pallet racks to fit your environment and make your warehouse as organized and efficient as it can be.
- Pallet racks last for a long time, and can be very durable.
Horizontal Carousel system
A horizontal carousel system is the same concept as the other vertical carousel systems mentioned before in this article, except, rather than moving the merchandise “up” to create more space vertically and horizontally, it moves it “around” to effectively utilized the horizontal space already provided. Horizontal carousel systems are most resourceful to those who require the easy reach of merchandise at workstations, and don’t have the time to wait for a vertical carousel system to deliver the merchandise. This allows for less footwork and more productivity, meaning a greater amount of sales.
The worker selects the merchandising picks in the system and the carousel moves around to them. The worker never moves from his workstation during this time, which saves time and energy. There are many benefits to the horizontal carousel system. Some of the benefits to the horizontal carousel system are:
- There is a lot of accessible storage for smaller items that can’t be accessed via forklift on a pallet.
- It is easy to stay organized and picking items from a horizontal carousel opposed to simple pallets or a vertical organization system becomes much faster and more efficient
- You can even combine the instant gratification of finding your product in the horizontal carousel with the efficiency and space-saving qualities of the vertical option, by stacking multiple horizontal carousels on top of one another.
A clean warehouse means a quickly operating company. If your warehouse is not optimized, neither will your entire company be at its absolute best. While completely revamping your warehouse may not always be a viable option, including aspects of these particular storage and sorting options may be a good fit for your warehouse optimization. Every little bit helps when it comes to organizing big projects. Additionally, if you are considering switching to a bigger warehouse, first try and recreate the space that you already have to make it more accommodating for your business. Always keep in mind that most product options can be customized to meet your individual needs and space requirements.